Welcome to Magnum's Developer Documentation!
Magnum is an OpenStack project which offers container orchestration engines for deploying and managing containers as first class resources in OpenStack.
- Free software: under the Apache license
- Source: http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/magnum
- Blueprints: https://blueprints.launchpad.net/magnum
- Bugs: http://bugs.launchpad.net/magnum
- REST Client: http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/python-magnumclient
There are several different types of objects in the magnum system:
- Bay: A collection of node objects where work is scheduled
- BayModel: An object stores template information about the bay which is used to create new bays consistently
- Pod: A collection of containers running on one physical or virtual machine
- Service: An abstraction which defines a logical set of pods and a policy by which to access them
- ReplicationController: An abstraction for managing a group of pods to ensure a specified number of resources are running
- Container: A Docker container
Two binaries work together to compose the magnum system. The first binary (accessed by the python-magnumclient code) is the magnum-api REST server. The REST server may run as one process or multiple processes. When a REST request is sent to the client API, the request is sent via AMQP to the magnum-conductor process. The REST server is horizontally scalable. At this time, the conductor is limited to one process, but we intend to add horizontal scalability to the conductor as well.
The magnum-conductor process runs on a controller machine and connects to a Kubernetes or Docker REST API endpoint. The Kubernetes and Docker REST API endpoints are managed by the bay object.
When service or pod objects are created, Kubernetes may be directly contacted via the Kubernetes REST API. When container objects are acted upon, the Docker REST API may be directly contacted.
- Abstractions for bays, containers, nodes, pods, replication controllers, and services
- Integration with Kubernetes, Swarm, Mesos for backend container technology
- Integration with Keystone for multi-tenant security
- Integration with Neutron for Kubernetes multi-tenancy network security
- Integration with Cinder to provide volume service for containers
dev/quickstart dev/manual-devstack dev/bay-template-example.rst dev/build-atomic-image.rst dev/kubernetes-load-balancer.rst dev/container-volume-integration.rst dev/tls.rst dev/mesos.rst dev/functional-test.rst dev/reno.rst magnum-proxy.rst contributing heat-templates objects gmr.rst
Work In Progress
troubleshooting-guide.rst userguide.rst configuring.rst